Monday, November 17, 2008

purity

My friend Sara told me about something incredibly disturbing Saturday night. In reference to my research topic, it is so scarily similar in so many ways it genuinely freaks me out. They're called purity balls, they're about preserving your daughters' "purity" and they seem to me to be just a few short steps away from the measures that many of the families I read about so regularly take to preserve their daughters' "purity" as well.



the pledge:

2 comments:

Stevie said...

good lord.

mrose said...

right?
so sick...

this is the pledge:
I, (DAUGHTER'S NAME)'S FATHER, CHOOSE BEFORE GOD TO COVER MY DAUGHTER AS HER AUTHORITY AND PROTECTION IN THE AREA OF PURITY. I WILL BE PURE IN MY OWN LIFE AS A MAN, HUSBAND AND FATHER. I WILL BE A MAN OF INTEGRITY AND ACCOUNTABLITY AS I LEAD, GUIDE AND PRAY OVER MY DAUGHTER AND MY FAMILY AS THE HIGH PRIEST IN MY HOME. THIS COVERING WILL BE USED BY GOD TO INFLUENCE GENERATIONS TO COME.